THE 10 INSTAGRAM COMMANDMENTS
We now live in an age when a lot of people have smart phones out there. Everyone from your 12 year old cousin to your Grandma is now on Facebook, Twitter and, of course, the awesome photography app Instagram.
As much as we love Instagram for all that it offers, there are a lot of ways for you to truly mess it up. So in the new tradition of COED’s 10 Commandments, we now offer you our wisest advice on how to navigate Instagram without seeming like a total tool…
1. Thou Shalt Not Put Up Quotes: Do we want to read your inspirational quotes? No. No, we do not. We want to look at pictures. This isn’t Twitter.
2. Thou Shalt Not Use Instagram As If It Were Facebook or Snapchat: If you must put up 30 pictures from an event, use Ye Olde Facebook–where creator Mark Zuckerberg welcomes you to put up as many pictures as you want. Or you could just continue to snapchat your friends all the pictures (although they might not be as enthused to receive them).
3. Thou Shalt Selectively Selfie: It’s okay to put up some selfies every now and then, but if your Instagram gallery is clogged with nothing but selfies–well, it’s time to re-evaluate your Social Media presence. And other things.
4. Thou Shalt Calm Down With The #Hashtags: A few hashtags are fine, and often even necessary. Once you get past five hashtags, though, you’re probably pushing it. Now you just look kind of crazy.
5. Thou Shalt Not Be Overly Thirsty: It’s okay to follow as many Instagram models as you possibly can (we’re not judging you, believe us)–but when it comes to leaving comments, please show some discretion. Do you need some evidence of what gross stuff not to say? Just take a gander at Jen Selter’s comment section sometime.